Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Baby it's cold outside!

Boy, the temperatures sure have plummeted since yesterday!  So maybe that's why what happened today, happened.  We'll call it brain freeze.
This morning, I gave Austin a little bowl with some yarn balls and a couple of swizzle sticks (minus the sugar - that went into my tea).  He always wants to "help" me with my knitting and I thought perhaps a little knitting basket of his own would divert his attention.  He took it right away and began "knitting".  After a few minutes, he said, "Mama show Austin how to knit", well, what knitting mama doesn't want to hear those words?  So I sat down, swizzle stick in hand and tried to cast on.  I say "tried" because I just couldn't.  It wasn't the stick, it was me.  I simply couldn't remember how to do it.  The yarn felt  like a stranger in my hands.  At first I chuckled, and tried again.  Wait, how do I hold this yarn, I know, it goes over these two fingers, but?  And then the nervous laughter just became nervous.  What's wrong with me, why can't I do this?  The more I tried, the harder it got and the more hot prickles crawled up my spine.  Within a moment or two I had convinced myself I probably had a brain tumor, dementia or something that would be swift, progressive and mean that I will never even see Austin graduate from preschool.  (Such is the thought pattern of someone who has had a lifelong struggle with anxiety attacks).  Then I remembered the knot.  The little slip knot that starts the whole process.  I made the knot, and tadaa.. it all came back.  Nervously, I cast on a few stitches and off I went.  I called a friend to confirm that I wasn't completely loosing it, and although she does not possess a medical degree, she says this happens to everyone, once in a while.  So how about it?  Has this sort of thing happened to you too?






Ok, on a different note, I love, love, love this hat!   It is a silly obsession of mine to dress this little boy in the most ridiculously cute animal clothes I can.  If it has ears on the hood, or a tail on the bottom, I just can't resist.  I know my time is limited, he will not put up with this much longer, so I have to get my fix while I can.  Girl clothes stay cute into bigger sizes, boys clothes, blah.  Pirates, camouflage  and little hoodlums are about all there is.  So, while he may spend a few years in therapy later blaming his mama for all the silly hats, I'm still gonna be lovin' it now!








Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment